EventWorld Flavours with a Local Flair
In Thunder Bay, we welcome June with open arms, as the weather warms and the world around us becomes lush and green. In this class, we are going to celebrate the first fruits of the season with a delicious three-course menu with flavours spanning three continents! We will start in Japan, where we will make vegetarian California-style “sushi” rolls together, and then move on to Italy for a light spring salad along with a decadent stuffed beef tenderloin, and finally to France for a rhubarb cream galette.
As it is yet early for most produce, we can still celebrate our first fruits of the season that are often overlooked as weeds, such as dandelion greens, chive flowers, and rhubarb. We’ll also enjoy some wonderful local produce from our Farmer’s Market, which is ramping up for the summer, including Slate River Dairy cream, Brule Creek flour, Veg-e-tate Market Garden shoots, and DeBruins Greenhouses cucumbers and basil. Short on time for the Market? Contact us for the addition of a local food box to accompany the meal, and we’ll set you up!
- Californian “sushi” rolls with pea shoots
- Italian stuffed beef tenderloin with red wine reduction, wild mushroom risotto
- Individual rhubarb galette
After our June class, we will take a break for the summer so everyone can enjoy your summer weekends, wherever they take you. In the meantime, you can find me joining forces with the Rotary Club to raise money for Easter Seals in a collaborative event on June 17th, and as a guest chef for Skills Ontario summer camps.
How it Works
- About 5-6 days before the class begins I will send out an email to all registrants that will include:
- List of ingredients needed and a recipe booklet to print off
- Instructions for preparation and any specifiic equipment needed
- A link to the Zoom meeting (you’ll require a FREE account with Zoom)
- The class will begin at 3:30pm EST but the Zoom “room” will open around 3pm to ensure time for technical glitches to get ironed out with both host and attendees. This is also a good time to get any last minute preparations ready!
- Attendees should try to have a monitor or at least a tablet to view the class on. A phone is not recommended as it will be too small to see much with. Although not required, we do recommend using a camera as it will improve the overall experience for everyone!
- Attendees will be able to interact freely throughout the class with the instructor but should limit convo with one another to the chat (this can be felt out though. If it’s not too crazy then feel free to speak with one another freely outside of the chat function)
- Following the completion of the class, a video recording of the evening will be sent out to all attendees, allowing for re-creation of various courses on your own.
- Enough food will be prepared to generously feed a family of 4.
- The cost is $40 (etransfer to email@example.com) or $42 via Paypal (button below) per household. Once payment is received your spot is confirmed!
- Please send a separate email with your name and email address to ensure I have your contact info as sometimes e-transfers don’t provide this information.