EventJanuary – Soup du Jour (Virtual)
Welcome to my first virtual class of 2023! This style of cooking class, introduced during the pandemic, is back by popular demand as families have enjoyed the hands-on experience of cooking with me in their own homes, as well as connecting with loved ones across the country to cook together.
This month will be a bit different from my conventional cooking classes. As the New Year often brings new resolutions, here is a class that brings healthy and hearty soups to your tables as well as offers a way to meal plan for future evenings when you may not have the time or energy to cook. With winter in full swing, soups and breads are a comfort in these cold weeks!
We will start with a good chicken stock, (chicken stock instruction included!) and make two different soups. I will discuss how the methods differ for each soup, the many variations of each type, and how to create your own without a recipe and some basic knowledge! Incidentally, these soups are all on my main menu as well – so there’s a good chance you’ve tried them before if you’ve ever had my catering 😉
To complement our soups, we’ll be making two of my favourite quick breads; Irish soda bread and cornbread with a spicy twist!
- Curried carrot and squash soup with ginger cream swirl
- Southwest corn chowder with roasted red pepper
- Irish soda bread
- Jalapeño cheddar cornbread
How it Works
- About 5-6 days before the class begins I will send out an email to all registrants that will include:
- List of ingredients needed and a recipe booklet to print off
- Instructions for preparation and any specifiic equipment needed
- A link to the Zoom meeting (you’ll require a FREE account with Zoom)
- The class will begin at 3:30pm EST but the Zoom “room” will open around 3pm to ensure time for technical glitches to get ironed out with both host and attendees. This is also a good time to get any last minute preparations ready!
- Attendees should try to have a monitor or at least a tablet to view the class on. A phone is not recommended as it will be too small to see much with. Although not required, we do recommend using a camera as it will improve the overall experience for everyone!
- Attendees will be able to interact freely throughout the class with the instructor but should limit convo with one another to the chat (this can be felt out though. If it’s not too crazy then feel free to speak with one another freely outside of the chat function)
- Following the completion of the class, a video recording of the evening will be sent out to all attendees, allowing for re-creation of various courses on your own.
- Enough food will be prepared to generously feed a family of 4.
- The cost is $40 (etransfer to email@example.com) or $42 via Paypal (button below) per household. Once payment is received your spot is confirmed!
- Please send a separate email with your name and email address to ensure I have your contact info as sometimes e-transfers don’t provide this information.